News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum Engines with sound

Started by Pacific Northern, August 13, 2009, 07:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I finally went out and bought one of the Bachman engines that comes with factory sound.
I am quite impressed with both the sound and the engines running performance.  Great sound compared to my BLI units from a few years ago. The locomotives running characteristics are also good, excellent slow speed control.

These units with the factory sound installed  are obviously a superior DCC decoder than the Bachmann standard DCC only decoder engines.

Having upgraded a couple of engines to DCC and sound I also think their pricing is reasonable.

Will Bachmann be selling the Sound decoders directly to the public in the future?

Pacific Northern

the Bach-man

Dear PN,
The sound decoders are eight function decoders from Soundtraxx. We don't have them for sale, but you can purchase a full Tsunami decoder from them.
They are great!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jim Banner

I am just getting into sound.  One of the things I found about the Tsunami, both versions, is that it has back emf speed control.  Basically, BEMF control compares motor speed to throttle setting and if they don't match, it adjusts the motor voltage until they do.  No more turning the control up a quarter of the way to get the locomotive to start.  No more adjusting CV2 so the locomotive starts at the first speed step, only to find that when you change grade, load or temperature, it starts at some other speed step.  This BEMF control works so well that Bachmann has been able to eliminate fiddly cams, contacts, and magnets usually used to synchronize chuff to speed.  Instead, the decoder starts the sound when it detects that the locomotive is moving.

The Tsunamis have taken this BEMF control one step further.  It seems the decoder can also measure how much voltage it has to apply to get the motor up to the required speed.  By doing that, it can tell how hard the motor is working.  If, for example, it is pulling a string of cars up a grade, the decoder can detect the additional voltage required compared to the locomotive running light on level track at the same speed.  And it can change the note of the steam exhaust to match.

Like Pacific Northern said, great sound and excellent speed control.  I suspect that Bachmann's contract with Soundtraxx prevents them from selling the Bachmann Tsunami, but as Mr. B pointed out, Sountraxx will happily sell you the full version.  May I suggest checking Tony's for price.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

pdlethbridge

When I was working, I ran a High speed wire-o binder called a womako. It would be about 25 years old now. It had a slew of cams to control the various functions on the machine such as punching. gathering and moving the product from stage to stage to do a particular function. There was a computer to control the wire cutting and placement and a computer to run the machine, a 7' tall box with all the controls in it. There was a speed controller for the main motor that had 2 brushes connected to the rear of the motor that gave that computer information it needed to balance out the highs and lows in speed caused by the many cams. I guess you could call that a BEMF system  but it sure wouldn't fit in any Bachmann tender! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Robertj668

Pacific  Northern
I Love the Bachmann Steam engines with Sound.  I just wish they would make the Diesels with sound!

Jim
Its nice you getting into sound. I never thought it was important till I heard one. Now this may be getting of the subject but I want to add atmosphere sounds too.  Now not all the time though.

Robert

ebtbob

Robert,

Do a search for Green Frog Productions,  makers of train video tapes and dvds.   At one time they offered background sounds done on casette tapes.
       There is another company that offers sound modules,  that Lin's Junction in Lansdale, Pa carries,  but I cannot find the one I have that is not installed yet,  so I cannot remember the name.  They offer quite a variety of sounds,  from carinvals,  machine shops,  and even a eulogy.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Jim Banner

Robert,

I responded to your comments on a new thread "Atmosphere Sounds" as my answer was even more off topic and rather long.  Here is the link:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,10272.0.html

Jim   
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

GreenDiamond

HO Spectrum sound question.

I have a 2-8-0 dual mode steamer with sound. I currently have Athern DC only power on an oval test track. Other brand sound-equipped engines work well so I think it safe to say the the power source is not the problem. The sound always starts before the loco moves and the chuff rate is noticeably fast when it is moving. The sound whistle breaks and restarts as power is applied until the loco is moving. I have sent the unit back for repair but the return now has the same problem. The engine is smooth at normal running speeds. I have noticed the engine starts moving in pulses that are out of step with the highest volume of the whistle (loud whistle = no motion). The tender emits the same erratic sound when it is given power without the loco connected.
Any suggestions appreciated,

John

Robertj668

Bob

Thanks for the web link they still do have the Cd's.  I wish they had examples of the Cd's or downloads.

Robert